A girlfriend of mine (She-She) asked me to write five things that I love about myself and I decided to publish it as a reminder to myself of just how many ways that I am loved and I am a reflection of self-love for my children and friends:
Here is the things that I love about me:
1. My Faith in GOD ~ I am faithful to GOD and his plan for my life. It has not been easy to follow or accept GOD’s plan but it has always guided me down the appropriate road for my benefit.
2. My Open Heart ~ I love my open heart. So many things have happened that could have easily made me harden my heart but I didn’t allow it to close me off from people or to close my heart to new people, places or experiences.
3. My Determination ~ To look into myself and discover and unravel all of the layers of me. The un-perfect layers that have melted together to become the me that I am today, in spite of the me that I was yesterday. My determination to review my life with accepting eyes and through a lens that allows for human errors, human tragedy and self-acceptance has been the key to living a healthy life with PTSD for me. Sure, I still stumble and fall from time to time — but I do not collapse like I previously used to when situations occur that trigger my PTSD.
4. My Willingness to Help Others ~ I take pleasure in helping others. I have been so blessed by the people who have helped me in all aspects of my life and I know it is a privilege to help others!
5. My Creativity ~ I truly know how to make lemonade when lemons are thrown at me. Lemonade is my way of making the best out of unpleasant circumstances, it’s a way of stretching resources and getting positive/negative energy out of me. My creativity helps me express myself in ways that I may never verbalize. I quilt to tell a story with fabric. I write to vent, to tell my truth, to tell how I desire something to be and to help others that may struggle as I have struggled.
This exercise took me about 1 hour to write. It is very short but I honestly struggled to think of things I love about me, mostly because I have never been encouraged to make such a proclamation. This my Valentine’s Day gift to myself. This my proclamation of self-love! If you are reading this and you have never done this before I highly encourage you to do so!
Here is your challenge:
Name five things that you love about you!
Write it down, shout it out to the world, toot your own horn, because if you don’t who will?